December 15th, 2009
|angelikitten||04:46 am - Oh LJ...|
LiveJournal's making a change to the gender setting on the profile page.
* Gender will be a mandatory field at account creation.
* LiveJournal is removing the Unspecified option for the gender field. That's right: you get to be male or female. Period. That's it. (Source.)
I... I don't even have words to explain how much this hurts me. And it does hurt, because I can't see what good limiting the gender option does at all, especially if the information is staying private.
It's probably silly of me to be crying about this, but I just don't need this shit right now.
(For those who'd like suggestions on how to deal with this, this post has some ideas, which is where I found out about it.)
[Edit] Apparently the change is not going through (edit at the bottom of the page), sorry!
Current Mood: crushed
|Date:||December 15th, 2009 08:57 am (UTC)|| |
This is crazy, and I don't see how it can ever work smoothly. I don't think gender should ever be a "drop down box" list of choices (although from the technical point of view I can appreciate that letting someone select "male" or "female" from a list is a lot safer than giving people a textbox to fill with mlae / femael typos.)
I also don't see why gender has to be a mandatory field.
1) If you're a young girl, advertising~ yourself as a young girl is only going to attract trouble.
2) For this reason (and several others), many female users will set the drop down box to male, thus messing with the advertisers as well as skewing the LJ userbase statistics.
3) Not everyone is male or female
LJ don't need to know which gender I am. :[